I know we've talked about this guy before, but I couldn't pull him up.
However, I'm really starting to like the guy, and the article below explains why he may actually be a viable candidate:
Earlier this afternoon, I watched him in a video expressing condolences to the French people - in flawless French. French happens to be one of the SEVEN language that he speaks.
Let's add this up.
1) He is a graduate of Harvard and Oxford (which he attended on a Rhodes scholarship)
2) He spend three years working for McKinsey and Company
3) He attained the rank of lieutenant while serving as in intelligence officer for the Navy in Afghanistan
4) He has been mayor of South Bend since 2011, and was re-elected in 2015
5) His official platform makes a lot of sense:
His platform includes support for universal healthcare, reducing income inequality, pro-environmental policies, dialogue and cooperation between the Democratic Party and organized labor, universal background checks for firearms purchases, federal legislation that would ban job discrimination against LGBT people, and preserving the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program for children of immigrants. Buttigieg also supports overturning Citizens United and ending gerrymandering
6) He was valedictorian of his senior class in South Bend the same year that he won the JFK Profiles in Courage Essay contest.
7) When he was at Harvard, he was president of the Harvard Institute of Politics Student Advisory Committee and worked on the Institute's annual study of youth attitudes on politics
8) His mother was a professor at Notre Dame for 29 years
9) He is a devout Christian. Although he was baptized as a Catholic, he later became an Episcopalian.
10) In addition to French, he is also conversant in Spanish, Italian, Maltese, Farsi, and Norwegian.
The difference between Mayor Pete and Trump is stark, in part because Trump can't even talk in complete sentences in English.
Some neanderthal in the Republican Party is sure to bring up the fact that he is in a gay marriage, but the world has LOTS of positions in power who are gay. Three of them are at the very top of their government. The United States has two governors are gay, and one senator (Kyrsten Sinema) who is openly bi-sexual.