Are you sure you want to delete this post?
Yes the Cape Town residents are working to meet the water targets. Today, February 1st, the limit has been reduced to 50 liters per person per day. On Zero Day (a day in April when the dams reach a critical limit), the water supply will be turned off, people will have to queue for water, and the limit will be further dropped to 25 liters per person per day. That limit will be easier to enforce because people will have to line up to collect it in plastic containers.
Right now those officials monitoring the usage say that only 55 percent of the people are complying with water rationing limits. If the other 45 percent can get on board, they could delay Zero Day until the rainy season starts (May to September).
It's not like Cape Town residents as a whole have not been water conscious. A year ago when we visited water rationing was being practiced by residents and businesses. But a perfect storm of several events has hit them simultaneously...an unprecedented three year drought, high population growth, and a major tourist destination with a large influx of tourists this time of the year. That and the expanding vineyards (wine a major source of expert revenue) use a lot of water for agriculture. It's the same problems/decisions that California faced until they got their rains.
In sympathy with my daughter, I have been monitoring how much water my wife and I use on a daily basis. This is winter time so no watering outside. We are averaging about 110 liters per person per day. If we don't take showers and don't do laundry, we can get that to about 50 liters per person per day. I practiced taking a less than 2 minute shower and determined I can take a full shower for just under 4 liters (one gallon) per day.
It will be very difficult for us to get to 25 liters per day per person. They are a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) so their total allotment will be 100 liters per day for the four of them. Besides the water restriction, however, the bigger logistical problem will be queing up to fill the containers and haul them back home. 100 liters is 100 kg...or 22o pounds.
With water being a premium and South Africa having a high number of guns and crime, security is a big worry. Once people get their water loaded daily in their cars (for those who have the luxury of owning cars) then car jacking to steal water is an additional concern.