Forum Thread

Wall Street suppression

Reply to ThreadDisplaying 6 Posts
  • Democrat
    Zephyrhills, FL
    Are you sure you want to delete this post?
        
    I would like to see some legislation, banning employers from using Credit Report's to determine a person's qualifications for employment. Some have bad credit because they do not have job's. Also I know a single parent that can not get a job because he has a misdemeanor record. But then again, we have a Governor here in Florida that is a convicted felon.
  • Center Left
    Independent
    Denton, TX
    Are you sure you want to delete this post?
        
    I'm not sure about outright banning it entirely, but certainly we have a system in place (both criminal/judicial and credit wise) that puts many people into a vicious cycle after a single false move, making it extremely difficult to get back on a good track. Once you get a misdemeanor or felony of almost any kind, those marks against you follow you everywhere, for years. You all the sudden can't get a great majority of quality jobs, housing/apts turn you down as an unwelcome liability, and in many cases, you can't qualify for financial aid to further your education.

    This problem reminds me of the prison issue in this country. You can't just condemn citizens to a life cycle of subpar living after one mistake. We need to be an inclusive and rehabilitating society, not one banking on locking people up because this vicious cycle lends itself to inevitable and certain recidivism. I guess if there wasn't some kind of profit in it for someone (for prisons its quickly becoming private prisons), then this wouldn't be the case. Makes me wonder who profits off of having a built-in vicious cycle, in regards to credit reporting and the criminal system where the charged do not go to jail?

    I understand that keeping tabs and making records available on dead-beat debtors and violent criminals is a needed system with 350 million citizens. My question is more about the majority that fall into the cycle (I'm sure you know several, or are one yourself) that really just made a mistake when they were young, maybe took out too much money for school, got into too much credit card debt, got a car or house when they really could not afford it, etc.

    Credit card companies and banks obviously profit there. ... I guess one answer to this issue is we need MAJOR education programs geared toward our youth about responsible debt management. And much more understanding policies, when it comes to qualifying for housing and jobs.
  • Liberal
    Independent
    Durham, NH
    Are you sure you want to delete this post?
        
    Credit, or the lack of it, is how the 1% keep the 99% in their place. It's a never ending cycle designed to purposely keep people poor and to succumb to the acceptance of "their place" in society.
  • Independent
    Ft.myers, FL
    Are you sure you want to delete this post?
        
    I guess education at schools to learn money management would be helpfull ; I've got the impression that kids nowadays are kind of lazy and think they do not need this education; just "Google" it or not.
  • Are you sure you want to delete this post?
        
    Hello pgr: I think you said it perfectly. "Credit is how the 1% keep the 99% under their thumb." We ALL must get credit to pay all our bills, & yet the endless cycle of paying high interest rates, which gradually increase over time, are making life, day by day, more expensive. And the way out of that cycle becomes more & more impossible. I have a friend who got a disability after age 45, & needs a wheelchair. But the small amount of money he gets barely allows him to use his oxygen, & then he can't afford his laundry, medicine or food. He can't afford to run his air conditioning in the hottest part of summer. It is incredible, in the richest nation in the world, for this situation to be almost typical.

    He often goes to the dumpster to search for food for his cat, & while there, finds any leftover food to give the stray animals & the wild birds and squirrels in his apt complex. After awhile, the animals realized who was their "friend" & they all watch for him to come outside every day. It is a wild scene, with rabbits, ground squirrels, a crippled abandoned puppy, & several species of birds, all flying & hopping alongside him as he goes to the dumpster. You'd swear it was a scene right out of "St. Francis of Asissi" -- patron saint of little animals. Or at least, a scene out of "Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs." (It brings tears to your eyes, no doubt). But of course this is the REAL WORLD.

    The apt manager found out about it, and FORBID him to feed the animals, anymore. He told the other tenants to watch out for the evil man who gave free food to helpless animals. And to report him if he was caught doing that again. (So he of course kept doing it, but trying to be more careful not to get caught). So finally, the landlord hired some men to come in & tear down the BUSHES & TREES that the animals lived in. (sad ending). It is just one more way the "rich" 1% can keep the rest of us 99% under their thumb. If they own your home, THEY RULE YOU. (& usually they are GOP).
  • Independent
    Ft.myers, FL
    Are you sure you want to delete this post?
        
    eternal flame Wrote: Hello pgr: I think you said it perfectly. "Credit is how the 1% keep the 99% under their thumb." We ALL must get credit to pay all our bills, & yet the endless cycle of paying high interest rates, which gradually increase over time, are making life, day by day, more expensive. And the way out of that cycle becomes more & more impossible. I have a friend who got a disability after age 45, & needs a wheelchair. But the small amount of money he gets barely allows him to use his oxygen, & then he can't afford his laundry, medicine or food. He can't afford to run his air conditioning in the hottest part of summer. It is incredible, in the richest nation in the world, for this situation to be almost typical.

    He often goes to the dumpster to search for food for his cat, & while there, finds any leftover food to give the stray animals & the wild birds and squirrels in his apt complex. After awhile, the animals realized who was their "friend" & they all watch for him to come outside every day. It is a wild scene, with rabbits, ground squirrels, a crippled abandoned puppy, & several species of birds, all flying & hopping alongside him as he goes to the dumpster. You'd swear it was a scene right out of "St. Francis of Asissi" -- patron saint of little animals. Or at least, a scene out of "Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs." (It brings tears to your eyes, no doubt). But of course this is the REAL WORLD.

    The apt manager found out about it, and FORBID him to feed the animals, anymore. He told the other tenants to watch out for the evil man who gave free food to helpless animals. And to report him if he was caught doing that again. (So he of course kept doing it, but trying to be more careful not to get caught). So finally, the landlord hired some men to come in & tear down the BUSHES & TREES that the animals lived in. (sad ending). It is just one more way the "rich" 1% can keep the rest of us 99% under their thumb. If they own your home, THEY RULE YOU. (& usually they are GOP).
    Yes "eternal" that is the way it is; our society is way out of wack; I love animals and think the same way; but a lot of people here love only "money" nothing else; so will that ever change in an "capitalistic" country?