Moments before a judge sentenced him to death, Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev rose to his feet Wednesday and apologized to the victims and their loved ones for the first time. "I pray for your relief, for your healing," he said. "I am sorry for the lives that I've taken, for the suffering that I've caused you, for the damage that I've done — irreparable damage," the 21-year-old former college student said haltingly in his Russian accent, breaking more than two years of silence.
Condemned to die for his part in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is likely to await his fate over the course of years, if not decades, locked up in grim prisons under extreme conditions while his lawyers appeal his sentence. The U.S. Bureau of Prisons has not yet decided where Tsarnaev will go, but he is likely end up in one of two high-security detention facilities, Colorado's ADX or Indiana's Terre Haute, according to U.S. District Attorney for Massachusetts Carmen Ortiz.
Thousands of runners and fans are scheduled to line up Monday for the Boston Marathon, just as they've done here since 1897. But this year is markedly different because one thing is coloring all else: the ongoing federal trial of Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
The Boston Marathon bombing trial jury on Thursday saw the remains of a pressure-cooker bomb that prosecutors say Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hurled at police during a gunfight four days after the bombing as well as jihadist files recovered from his laptop. The bomb, described as similar to the twin bombs set off at the race, was extracted from a Honda Civic in which it embedded itself on a Watertown, Massachusetts street after Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, detonated it during the gunfight.
A friend of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev plans to ask a judge to release him on bail while he awaits trial on charges of impeding the investigation into the deadly attack.
For the most important Boston Marathon in history, Boston Globe photographer John Tlumacki will be posted at his usual spot, working the finish line, waiting for the runners to find their way to him. It's a job he loves. This year, it's also a job he needs.
As thousands gathered to mark the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, one sight evoked memories of the attack that spurred widespread carnage: suspicious bags near the finish line. Police spotted the bags on Boylston Street -- not far from where two pressure-cooker bombs exploded exactly one year ago Tuesday, killing three people and wounded at least 264 others.
Nearly one year after the Boston Marathon bombings, there are still certain images from April 15, 2013, that remain engraved in people's minds. John Tlumacki's photograph is one of them. The Boston Globe photographer shot the now-famous picture of police officers running toward a fallen runner just seconds after the first bomb went off.
Runners in a monthlong coast-to-coast relay of more than 3,300 miles to raise money for a charity aiding Boston Marathon bombing victims have crossed the finish line. One Run for Boston began March 16 in Santa Monica, Calif., and ended Sunday evening in Boston. More than 2,000 runners were in the uninterrupted relay through 14 states. Each ran at least one seven- to 20-mile segment.
Boston city officials released their detailed public safety plans for this year’s Boston Marathon during a press conference at City Hall on Saturday. Mayor Martin J. Walsh and Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said runners and spectators can expect an increased police presence and more emergency medical services and emergency communications available on the day of the marathon.
More than 3,500 police officers will patrol this year's Boston Marathon, more than double the number deployed last year, when two bombs exploded near the finish line, killing three people and injuring more than 260. The enhanced police presence is part of a beefed-up security plan detailed Monday by public safety officials as they prepare for the April 21 marathon.
U.S. counter-terrorism officials are attempting to track down a female friend of the accused Boston Marathon bomber after she traveled to Chechnya last year and is believed to have since posted "alarming" jihadi imagery online, officials told ABC News.
FBI agents scoured the home Monday where Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s widow is staying and left with evidence bags, including one marked “DNA samples.”
It’s the agency that Congress and the National Rifle Association love to hate.But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which hasn’t had a director in seven years, has been at...
Glenn Beck has sparked controversy this week after he claimed some kind of conspiracy and cover up regarding the Boston Marathon bombings.
CNN's John King says he is embarrassed after wrongly reporting last week that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was arrested, calling the mistake a "double kick in the head" because he's a Boston native. "When you do something like this, it's embarrassing," King, the network's chief national correspondent, told WTOP on Tuesday. "The one thing you have to do is look straight in the camera and say, 'We were wrong.'" CNN was criticized for its coverage of the Boston Marathon bombings. On Wednesday, it was one of at least four major news organizations that cited anonymous sources when reporting an arrest had been made. The Associated Press, Fox News and the Boston Globe also disseminated the inaccurate news.
Like a lot of Americans, when I woke up on Friday morning and found out there was a manhunt in the Boston area for the remaining suspect in Monday’s bombing at the marathon, I turned on CNN. It’s a common impulse, although less common than it used to be. The news audience has been chopped up into ideological camps, and CNN’s middle way has been clobbered in the ratings. The legacy networks’ news divisions can still flex powerful muscles on big stories, and Twitter and other real-time social media sites have seduced a whole new cohort of news consumers.
The police scanner crackled. Mayor Thomas M. Menino sat in his black SUV in Watertown and followed the final siege. He listened to voices of officers he knows, praying the nightmare would finally end.
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said information he has indicates that the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing acted alone. Menino told ABC’s ‘‘This Week’’ that he agreed with the decision to lock down Boston all day Friday, based on information officials had at the time.
Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said federal prosecutors should seek the death penalty for Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. During a Sunday appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," Schumer was asked by host Candy Crowley whether Tsarnaev should face capital punishment if he is found guilty, even though it is banned in the state of Massachusetts.