From the PsychCentral website: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Those traits certainly apply to Trump. However, the subject of the thread is "Trump's ignorance of everything". Looking at Dutch's list, I can agree that Trump is ignorant of many of the points on the list. However, does it matter if his base -- the 35 percent or so -- is also ignorant of the same topics?
You have to give Trump credit for having a sense of what he repeatedly needs to say and do to appeal to his base, no matter how outrageously false. In that single aspect, Trump knows how to exploit and manipulate Americans. Or as George Lakoff says, "Trump is very, very smart. Trump for 50 years has learned how to use people's brains against them. That's what master salesmen do."
Trump is a master salesman, but I prefer "con artist" -- an opportunist who knows how to appeal to our emotions, our darker sides if you like, and turn Americans against themselves for his own gain. In that respect, the trait above -- "exploitive of others to achieve his own ends" -- applies to much of what Trump says and does. His worldview, as wwjd suggests, is driven by "what's in it for me". For Trump, it is always, ME, ME, ME.
And he knows how to use US to accomplish the ME -- to use our brains against us.
I've covered Trump's narcissism and Lakoff's assessment of Trump "being very smart" before in this website, so I am repeating myself here again. However, I haven't seen anything to change my mind. The only thing I will push back on Dutch, as usual, is that much of what he says applies to that 35 or 40 percent. No arguments there. But the rest of us, the 60 percent, are ready to move on from the Trump debacle.